Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Islamic Leadership Training Camp

I spent 8-10 June in the premises of of NTU for a leadership camp conducted by FMSA. It was great that 4 new members, Azhar, Erni, Nurrasyidah and Huda came along to the camp. I hoped they have found the camp to be an enlightening experience.

The camp consists mainly of lectures after lectures. There were times that I felt like going into fish mode(inside joke) but it was worthwhile. We got a free copy of the Al-Quran's translation. It was money well spent. For myself, I made it a point to learn as much as I can. Be it about leadership skills, be it about about the people around me or about myself. I believe I left with empowering lessons to take back.

There were 4 other NYP students who went there other than the 5 of us. Kamal yr3 DMIT and VP of SIT club. There was also Ismail, yr3 nursing student. I tried to get feedback on what they thought of NYPMS.

One of the facilitators was Alfian, who turned out be Remy's ex-secondary schoolmate. Btw, Remy is the previous chairman of NYPMS. Too bad I did not manage to talk to Alfian as much as I wanted to. I did however get to have a good talk with another facilitator, Bro Hairudin. He is one of the founding members of NYPMS back in 1997. I got a history lesson on NYPMS. I also got valuable insights from him and could now see the bigger picture of things.

I now feel that we are not striving for the success of NYPMS alone. There are people out there who would be more than willing to help. Insyaallah we can make an impact. Amin.

Summary of lessons learnt.
  1. Kullu kum ra'in. Everyone of you is a leader
  2. Khuwah. Every individual has his own strengths
  3. Khalifah. We are custodians of earth
  4. Amanah. With great power comes great responsibility
  5. A good leader is a good follower
  6. A good leader has integrity

No comments: